Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kanye's New Album Cover: Inappropriate or Just "Douchey?"

Ladies and gentlemen, Kanye is at it again. This time he's not making toasts to douche bags, but instead, he's just proving to the world that he is still king of them.

This week, Kanye West revealed his album cover for his latest CD, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy which hits stores November 22, 2010. It is far too hard for me to explain what it looks like, because frankly, I have no idea what it is without doing research. As for the big picture, I'm pretty sure you can guess why it has caused an uproar.





In defense of his new cover, Kanye went onto Twitter to say, "In response to the reaction of my album cover... 'I'm deeply sorry if I haven't offended everybody.'" He knows he's an a** hole, and takes pride in being one. That's one of his ways of staying in the lime light..

The artist of the cover, George Condo, is no stranger  to twisted works of art and in all honestly, this seems to be the least controversial of his works which makes me wonder, why is it that inappropriate?

George Condo's Jesus (Partial)



Of course Kanye is going to milk the controversy for all it's worth, and that very well may be why it's been getting so much attention - because of Kanye's reaction to the people's reaction. Another post from his Twitter stated, "So Nirvana can have a naked human being on they cover but I can’t have a PAINTING of a monster with no arms and a polka dot tail and wings.” Though he left out the part out about sexual positioning of the characters, I have to agree with Kanye - for the first time in my life.



He's not the first musician to have controversy surrounding an album cover and his is by far not the most controversial. On a website I found while researching Kanye's album, Flavorwire showed ten albums covers more controversial than Kanye's. When in comparison with the albums found on the website, there really isn't much to Kanye's except for that fact that it's something he can open his douchey mouth to and receive more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment